While volunteering at Galcom International recently, assembling solar powered missionary radios, I was chatting with a retired missionary working next to me. We were talking about our travels and he mentioned an organization called Mennonite Your Way that facilitates sharing accommodations as we travel. After joining it I realized that there may be some of you who would like to travel but find the cost of hotels difficult to handle.
WHAT IS MENNONITE YOUR WAY?
Mennonite Your Way is a worldwide family that includes more than 1700 Mennonites, Brethren, and other Christians of like spirit who receive guests in their home on a donation basis. Hosts share courtesy, fellowship and hospitality. Donations are often left with a thank you note, sometimes with a jar of jam or with a family photo or other practical item from your home area. Hosts provide what they wish and guests express appreciation for what’s offered.
This map shows which towns in The US, Canada and the Caribbean have at least one host family but there are no names or contact information posted online. If you choose to become a member of the Mennonite Your Way community you will receive a printed directory and have email and phone support for up-to-the-minute information.
ABOUT THE MENNONITE YOUR WAY DIRECTORY
The following information is from the Mennonite Your Way Directory website. Since it was founded in 1976, Mennonite Your Way has renewed an old tradition among Christians by organizing a hospitality network so travelers can share Christian courtesy and fellowship. All who agree with the “MYW Plan” can apply to use the Directory.
You can click here to go to their website to learn more about Mennonite Your Way, to apply to be a host listed in the directory, or to order a directory for your personal travel.
Once you receive your directory, here’s how to use the Mennonite Your Way Directory host listings
- Find a host near the location you plan to visit. If you need help you can email email@example.com with the locations you are interested in or phone 847-949-6179, 8AM to 8PM central time Monday through Saturday and leave a message.
- Use the host’s contact information in the directory to learn if it is convenient for the them to welcome you on the dates you need.
- If they can accommodate you, ask for directions to their home from wherever you are entering the city, and discuss any special needs.
- Ask if your expected arrival time is convenient for your host.
- Following your stay, provide your host with your thank you note and donation.
YOUR DONATION PER NIGHT TO YOUR HOST
For the current directory, the suggested donation to your host in Canada or the USA is $10.00 per adult, $2.00 per child and if breakfast is offered, $2.00 per meal, unless otherwise noted in the host’s listing. Consult with international hosts when making reservations regarding their preferred donation and currency.